September 18, 2015

Print Friendly and PDF

Red Currant Cookies

Yum


              It was just recently that I came to know about currants. We do't get it in India (down south), living in The Emirates has it's own perks, the supermarkets are stocked with exotic fruits and vegetables. I came across these beauties this a few days back and was so excited that I couldn't wait to get home and pop it in my mouth. I returned home took out the currants washed and had one and guess what it was so SOUR! I was so disappointed , I had earlier made the same mistake with strawberries(it looked ripe :/). 

I mean look at them, they look sooo attractive and I seriously thought that it would be super sweet. Anyways I was in a fix, did not know what to do with the entire packet as I was hardly able to eat one, seeing my reaction my husband wouldn't even have one. Then as always google came to the rescue. I found a lot of recipes using red currants. I wanted to make a cake, but unfortunately the required amount of currants were more than what I had so ended up baking these cookies. I got the recipe from here. The cookies when baked & cooled is crispy and it becomes soft later on. The cookies where good, a combination of both sweet & sour.

Recipe source: eatinmykitchen
Ingredients:
All purpose flour                             -                   150 g.
oats                                                  -                    100 g.
salt                                                    -                   ¼ tsp.
baking soda                                      -                    a pinch
baking powder                                  -                    ½ tsp.
butter, softened(at room temp.)       -                     110 g.
granulated sugar                               -                    150 g.
ripe banana, mashed                        -                     1
Egg, small                                        -                     1
Vanilla extract                                 -                     ½ tsp.
red currants, ripe                              -                    150 g.

Method:
  1. Preheat the oven to 180°C / 360°F  and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Combine the flour, oats, salt, baking soda and baking powder in a bowl. 
  3. In another large bowl, mix the butter and sugar until fluffy with a beater. Add the mashed banana, egg and vanilla and continue mixing until well combined. 
  4. Stir in the dry mixture with a spoon gently until you have a lumpy dough. Gently fold in the red currants. Do not over mix.
  5. Drop a tablespoon of dough on the lined baking sheet, leaving enough space in between them as they will expand in the oven.
  6. Bake in the oven for about 13 minutes or until golden, they will be quite soft at first.
  7. Remove them from the oven and let it cool a bit, before transferring them onto a wire rack.
  8. The cookie will be crispy the first day and will soften gradually.



No comments:

Post a Comment